PIZZA LOVERS EVERYWHERE CELEBRATE NATIONAL PIZZA DAY
Washington, D.C., February 9, 2017 – Pizza Day may be celebrated every day by pizzerias, but today the American Pizza Community (APC) encourages pizza lovers everywhere to celebrate with them in honor of National Pizza Day by ordering your favorite slice or pie and share it using #NationalPizzaDay.
While the origin of National Pizza Day may be unknown, it gives the 74,000 pizzerias around the country reason to celebrate. “Pizza operators welcome any reason to eat pizza,” said Tim McIntyre, APC Chair. “If National Pizza Day encourages people to choose pizza for a shared meal, then we salute it!”
With more than 34 million ways to order a pizza, Americans love pizza because it is customizable, it can satisfy different tastes and meet the demands of a busy schedule.
Here are facts about the American pizza industry:
- 94% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month.
- Pizza restaurants make up approximately 17% of restaurants in the US.
- There are 74,800 pizzerias in the US, of which 52% are independently owned.
- There are pizza stores in all 50 states.
- The average American eats about 46 slices a year.
- There are 34 million ways to order a pizza.